Employee information allows you to keep track of information that is associated with your employees, including biographical data and job related data. When setting up employee information with TribeHR complete the following steps:
1. Create Profile Fields
Default Profile Fields
- TribeHR comes equipped with a number of default Profile Fields with privacy settings that are configured by TribeHR. For each employee record added, there are five required fields: First Name, Last Name, Email, Username and Hire Date. Each of these fields is required to create a user record.
- The list of default profile fields that appear on the employee file and their default privacy settings is provided below. Since they cannot be customized, there is no edit interface for these fields.
- Account Details - This page includes email address, Username, Account Type, Twitter, Blog and LinkedIn
- Employee Details- This page includes First Name, Last Name, Mobile or Home Phone Number, Street Address, City, Province or State.
- Job Details -This page include information about the employee's position in the company such as Manager, Job Title, and Compensation
- Profile Picture- This page allows you to update the user's profile picture.
Optional Profile Fields
- These are fields that can be enabled so they appear in the employee file. These fields are: Gender, Government ID, Employee Class and Race/Ethnicity.
Note: For Government ID, is a text based field and you can't add options to it, however you can assign a privacy setting.
- To enable this, navigate to the the gear icon on your header. Navigate to Employees tab and go to the Profile Fields section.
- Click on the link of the profile field that you want to edit and use.
- You can click on the check box to enable the field and click add new option if you wish to add a new entry to the drop down. Once done, click on Save Gender Options to save the settings.
- These are fields that can be created and customized depending on the company such as Bank Account, Alternative Contact details or any other field that you wish to track.
- To enable this, click on the gear icon on your header and navigate to the Employees tab and go to the Profile Fields section.
- Click on +New Custom Field to add a new field. Here you can type the name of the new field, select privacy setting and type. Once done click on Save Custom Field.
2. Set up Job Titles, Departments, Locations, Employee Class
- This is a list of company specific Job Titles in the TribeHR database that you create. Adding a job title, will add it to your job titles list and make it available in the company position drop down in the employee file.
- To do this, navigate to Company tab and go to Company Positions. Here, click on the button with the plus sign. The option to "add a new position" will appear. Select this option.
- Enter the job title to be added to the database. If the job description for this title is available, add it at this time, or return to this screen at a later date to add the job descriptions. Repeat this process until all job titles have been added.
- You also have the option to include EEO category to this job title for job posting purposes once it was enabled. Click on Save once done.
- This is a list of company specific departments in the TribeHR database that you can create. To do this, click on the gear icon on your header and navigate to Company tab and click on Departments section.
- To create a Department click the +New Department button.
- Fill in Department name in the Name field and then click the Save Department button. Repeat this process until all Department names have been created.The order in which the departments are displayed can be customized in the full Company Directory through clicking Re-order Departments.
- A department may be deleted by clicking the "Delete" link under the Actions column. Confirm the action by clicking OK when prompted. They can also be edited by clicking the department name link under the Name column.
- This is a list of company specific locations in the TribeHR database that you can create. To do this, click the gear icon on your header and navigate to the Company tab and go to Locations section.
- To create a new Location click the +New Location button.
- Enter the name of the location and other details such as the complete address and phone number. You can also assign employees to the location you create. Click Add Location once done. Return to this page, once employee profiles have been created, to assign employees to this location. Repeat this process until all locations have been created and saved.
- A location may be deleted by clicking the "Delete" link under the Actions column. Confirm the action by clicking OK when prompted. It can also be edited by clicking the location name link under the Name column.
- There is a list of company specific employee classes in the TribeHR database that you can create.
- To do this, click on the gear icon on your header and navigate to the Employees tab and go to the Profile fields section.
- Click on the Employee Class link to modify the settings.
- Click on the Use this profile field to activate and click on the Add a new option to create additional employee class applicable to your company. Click Save Employee Class Options, to save any changes you have made.
3. Set Default Work Days and Currency
- Default work hours per day - enter the default number of work hours per day employees work (typically 7.5 or 8). Customize this value for individuals directly from their employee record.
- Default Currency - the currency set here will be automatically applied to all subsequently created employee profiles. Edit individual currencies from the employee profile. If a required currency required is not listed here, notify firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Enter in Leave Policies
- Every TribeHR account comes with two default time off types: “Vacation” and “Sick”. Edit or hide these, or add custom types and remove custom types at any point. For example, compensated time off and travel allowances are some of the common custom types our customers enjoy using.
- To do this, click on the gear icon on your header and navigate to the Employees tab and go to the Types of Time Off section.
- Click on + New Type of Time to add a new time off type.
- Once in the Add Time Off Type screen you are able to create a new type of time off. Create a unique Name for the type of time off. Using the drop down set the Accrual Schedule; depending on which accrual schedule you select your options for accrual will change:
- Accrue Weekly or Accrue Bi-Weekly (Every Other Week)
- Accrue Semi-Monthly (Twice Per Month)
- Accrue Monthly (At End of Month) or Accrue Annually (At Start of Year)
- Do Not Accrue. Just Track Usage
- You can also set the default allocation, carry over, max accruals and set privacy settings.
5. Create Employee Profiles
- After configuring optional and custom employee profile fields, it is time to create and populate user records. Do this by adding and/or importing employee information and editing profiles to assign any remaining information.
- When adding employee information you have a couple options available to you.
Option 1: Manually Adding Employees
- From TribeHR Home page, click the “Add an Employee” link under the “Popular Activities” menu.This option can also be accessed by navigating to Company tab then Your Team and click on Add an Employee still under the “Popular Activities”.
- Go through the process of the Employee wizard by filling out account details, employee details and job details as prompted. Required fields are highlighted with a red asterisk. Click on Save & View Employee once done confirming the details you have entered.
In Roles and permissions, the Employee wizard will have additional step to include Role Assignment. The default role automatically assigned to all users/employee is Employee role.
Option 2: Importing Employees
- Your second option to create employee profiles is by importing the information. To do this, navigate to Company tab, click on Your Team and then click Import Employees link under the Popular Activities menu.
- Here, you have to select the import file that needs to be uploaded by clicking on the Browse button.
- Click on Import.
Note: TribeHR’s import tool accepts .xls and .csv files. TribeHR does not accept .xlsx files.
- In the employee import screen, Map the data being imported to the TribeHR database fields by selecting the appropriate fields from the drop down lists.
- A screen will display your import results including how many rows on the imported file were successfully added, rows updated, rows skipped and import errors.
Note: Fields that do not appear in the drop down list are not importable. To populate all non-importable profile fields, edit each employee record to manually assign this information.
6. Reporting Structure
- Once user records have been created, the remaining employee information can be added. Edit employee profiles directly to assign Department, Job Title, Location, Salary, and Manager information. This will automatically build your Company Directory and Org Chart.
- To do this, viewing the employee file and click the Edit Profile link. Navigate to the Job Details page. Here you can assign the Manager, Job Title, Department, Location as well as Salary. Once done, select the effective date that will be recorded under the employee history and Save the details.
Still have questions about getting started with employee information? Submit a help request and the TribeHR support team will be happy to help!