Leave Tracking in TribeHR allows you to track employee time off, set up custom types of time off to match your company policies and identify official company holidays. When setting up Leave Tracking in TribeHR complete the following steps:
1. Set Time Off settings In the General Info section
- Click on the gear icon on your header. Then navigate to Company tab and go to the General Info section.
- In the Time Off Section: Select your display options; select a Reset balances on date employees' balances will reset on this date (Carry over rules will be applied in accordance with the selected date); enter Default work hours per day the default number of work hours per day that employees typically work (You can customize this value for each employee by going to the Job Details section of their respective profile).
2. Set Type of Time Off
- If you are given permissions to Create, Modify and Delete the Leave Types.
- Click on the gear icon on your header. Then navigate to Employees tab and go to the Types of Time Off section.
- In the Types of Time Off click on +New Time Off button to create a new type.
- Once in the Add Time Off Type screen, you are able to create a new type of time off.
- Create a unique Name for the type of time off.
- Select one of the following from the drop down menu. This will automatically give the accrual allotment on the first day of the year.
- Accrue Weekly - to accrue once a week
- Accrue Bi-weekly - to accrue every other week
- Accrue Semi- Monthly - to accrue twice per month
- Accrue Monthly - to accrue once per month (at end of month)
- Accrue Annually - to accrue once a year
- Do Not Accrue. Just Track Usage - to have all approved time off requests automatically logged as debits. No credits (accruals/earnings) will be automatically added to employees' balances.
Depending on the selected Accrual schedule, set the corresponding options:
- Date of Next Accrual - select the day of the week that accruals should be credited to employees, this will allow TribeHR to generate a schedule of accruals based on the day selected.
- Day of First Accrual (Semi-Monthly) - select the day of the month that the first of two monthly accruals are credited to employees, this will allow TribeHR to generate a schedule of accruals based on the combination of accrual dates selected.
- Day of Second Accrual (Semi- Monthly) - select the day of the month that the second of the two monthly accruals are credited to employees, this will allow TribeHR to generate a schedule of accruals based on the combination of accrual dates selected
- Start Accruing On. Select a day after which TribeHR should start automatically crediting employees' their accrual amount. For example, if you set this date as December 31, and set to Accrue Annually, the accrual will be applied to the employee's account on January 1.
- In the Default Annual Allocation box, type in the number of days that is most often given to your employees for this type of time off. This number can be manually adjusted for individual employees, if they have more or less time off of this type.
- To enable carry over, click the Enable Carry Over Limit check box.
- This will bring up the carry over limit options.
- In the Default Carry Over box type in the number of days that can be carried over at the end of the year by your employees, this can also be adjusted for individual employees.
- In the Carry Over Expires drop down select when the carry over time would expire. Select Does not expire if you wish the unused time off to be carried over until the employee leaves the company.
- To enable max accruals, click on the Enable Max Accruals check box.
- This will bring up the max accruals options.
- Using the radio buttons, select your max accruals in Days or as a Multiplier.
- If you select Days put in the number of days that you wish for your employee's time off to cap out at. For example; if you enter 20 days, your employee's accruals will automatically adjust if they hit this cap.
- If you select Multiplier put in the multiplier that corresponds to your HR policy. For example; if you enter 1.5 days, and your employee's annual allotment is 15 days, once they hit 20 days your employee's accruals will automatically adjust if they hit this cap.
- If you want time off to appear on your company calendar check the Show on Calendar box, this will bring up a privacy drop down with four options.
- Admins Only: time off for employees will only appear on admin calendars
- Manager Only: time off for employees will appear on admin calendars and the calendars for an employees reporting manager(s)
- Employee & Manager: time off for employees will appear on admin calendars, reporting manager(s) calendars and an employees own calendar
- Everyone: time off for employees appears on everyone’s calendar
- Click the Save Time Off button to save this type of time off
- You will be directed to the Types of Time Off page where you should now see it added to the list.
3. Set Employees' Annual Allocations
Refer to permissions under Leave Management
- This time off type will then be added to all employees in the company. Before you launch TribeHR to your staff you need to make sure that their annual allocation is correct. All the current and future employees will have the company defaults apply to their employee files. Confirm and edit annual allocation of employees that are entitled to this type of time off using the Annual Time Off Allocation Report. Annual Allocation is the amount of days that an employee is entitled to annually.
4. Set Employees' starting balances
- Set Employee's starting balances
- Once you have set up the time off type and confirmed the annual allocation for entitled employees, you then need to set employees' starting balances since TribeHR does not accrue based on employee's hire date.
- Navigate to Reports tab and click on Time Off Report
- Edit everyone's starting balance on the right most column of this page. This will automatically update the employee's starting balance by creating an adjustment transaction record on their employee file. Once you have done this, TribeHR is ready to start automatically calculating your employee balances for you.
5. Create events as official holidays
- Next, you need to make sure that the holiday events are tagged as official holidays as necessary. Administrators can add events in the company calendar and tag them as official holidays. Tagging them as official holidays will automatically recognize the days as holidays, and won't be deducted from employee's leave balances.
(For example, if December 25 is set as an official holiday, an employee requesting leave days that include December 25 would not have any hours deducted for that they from the employee's available leave balance.)
6. Optional: Adding Time Off records
- If you want to have your leave records appear in TribeHR there are a couple of additional steps to follow.
- Once you have added your employee files and confirmed annual allocation, you're ready to add employee vacation history.
- Navigate to Reports tab and click on Time Off Ledger.
- Record past earnings to decrease or increase the employees' balances.
Still have questions about setting up a time off type? Submit a help request and the TribeHR support team will be happy to help!