If you are given permissions to Enable and Modify the Profile Fields,
you can update employee information at any time, including custom fields, if you want to update custom fields for a variety of employees, you can do so using the import tool.
Creating the custom field:
- Your first step would to be to create the custom field in the Administration settings, if it doesn't already exist within your account.
- Click on the gear icon on your header. Then navigate to Employees tab and go to the Profile Fields section. Click on New Custom field button to create a new custom field.
Building The Spreadsheet:
- To begin to build your spreadsheet you will use for the import, you will need a list of all the users within the company and the mandatory fields that are required for an import, to do this navigate to Reports.
- If you have permissions to View the Export Users Report, click on Export Users under the General Reports
- Pull a report of your custom field/s (if there is any previous information in your account) and the mandatory fields: First Name, Last Name, Email Address and Date Hired (Date hired should be in the following format YYYY-MM-DD). These fields are necessary to complete a import successfully.
- Once you have selected the fields you wish to update, select Export as CSV to export this file. This will become the basis of your new import file.
- Using this spreadsheet you would put in a column that would contain the contents of the custom field you wish to import. You can name the column to match the name of your custom field.
- Save the file as a Windows Comma Separated File (CSV).
- If you have more than 500 employees break your Excel file up into batches of 500 employees for importing.
Importing Your Data:
- Once you have created your spreadsheet, navigate to Company tab and click on Your Team section. In the right hand column under the Popular Activities menu, select Import Employees.
- Click Browse to select the file to import. Click Prepare.
- In the next screen, uncheck the The first row contains column headers so that we can see the headers from the file to match them with the import fields.
- For the "What should we do if we detect duplicate records?" drop down, select Try to Update Existing Data. This is very important, so your information is not duplicated in TribeHR, since we are updating your records and not end up duplicating your employees.
- Using the drop downs, match the column headers from the import tool headers to the headers in the CSV file.
- In order for the import to complete correctly you must match up the mandatory fields: First Name, Last Name, Email and Date Hired, along with the fields you are wishing to update.
- Match up the columns using the drop downs including your custom field that you wish to upload.
- Unless you have changed information in the mandatory fields this will not save a new record of these fields, it is just used by TribeHR to match up the information to the respective employee.
- Once you are done matching up the rows, check the "The first row contains column headers. Do not import these headers." checkbox.
- Click the Start Import button to import your custom field data.
- You will be directed to the Import Your Data page. This shows you the status of the import. If you are updating a large number of fields or employees, this process may take 20 -30 minutes. To see the progress of the import click Refresh.
- This page also shows how many rows were successfully updated and any errors that were encountered.
Still have questions about bulk updating custom field data? Submit a help request and the TribeHR support team will be happy to help!