To bulk update Employee information you need a list of all the employees within your company and the mandatory fields needed to complete a import. The mandatory fields are; First Name, Last Name, Email Address, Username and Date Hired (Date hired should be in the following format YYYY-MM-DD). These fields allow TribeHR to match up employees in the account and ensure that updates are being made to the proper employee.
Building The Spreadsheet:
- If you are given permissions to View the Export Users Report,
- Navigate to the Reports tab, and in the standard reports section, click Export Users.
- Select First Name, Last Name, Email, Username and Date Hired. If you are making changes to a standard field within TribeHR, select that field as well.
- If you are importing information into a custom field for the very first time, you will need to create the field before importing the information.
- Once you have selected the fields you wish to update select Export as CSV to export this file. This will become the basis of your new import file.
- Open up the file you just created in Excel, and update any information you need to change. Save this file as a Windows Comma Separated CSV, XLS or XLSX file.
- Note: If you have a large number of employees (over 500) split the information you are going to import into spreadsheets with no more than 500 employees in them.
Completing the Import:
- Go back to TribeHR and navigate to the Company tab and click on the Your Team section.
- In the right hand column under the Popular Activities menu, select Import Employees.
- Select the CSV, XLS or XLSX file that you just created and click the Prepare button.
- On the next screen, uncheck the The first row contains column headers. Do not import these headers. option, so that we can see the headers from the file to match them to the import fields.
- For the "What should we do if we detect duplicate records?" drop down, select Try to Update Existing Data. This is very important, so your information is not duplicated in TribeHR, since we are updating information and not adding new employees
- Using the drop downs, match the column headers from the import tool headers to the headers in the CSV file.
- In order for the import to complete correctly you must match up the mandatory fields; First Name, Last Name, Email, Username and Date Hired (date hired needs to be in the following format YYYY-MM-DD), along with the fields you are wishing to update.
- Unless you have changed information in the mandatory fields this will not save a new record of these fields, it is just used by TribeHR to match up the information to the proper employee.
- Once you are done matching up the rows, check the "The first row contains column headers. Do not import these headers." checkbox.
- Click the Start Import button to import your employee information.
- You will be directed to the Import Your Data page. This shows you the status of the import. If you are updating a large number of fields or employees, this process may take 20 -30 minutes. To see the progress of the import click Refresh.
- This page also shows how many rows were successfully updated and any errors that were encountered.
Still have questions about bulk updating employee information? Submit a help request and the TribeHR support team will be happy to help!